DEPOTS OF THE
CARSON & COLORADO RAILROAD

The Carson & Colorado Railroad was incorporated on May 10, 1880. The C&C was built to three-foot gauge, and ran from Mound House, Nevada, to Keeler, California. In March of 1900, the Southern Pacific Railroad purchased the Carson & Colorado Railroad. In October of 1904, work began to standard gauge the line from Mound House to Tonopah Junction, NV. The portion from Mound House to Fort Churchill became the Mound House branch, and the portion from Fort Churchill to Mina became the Mina branch. This was completed on September 1, 1905. From that date forward, the section from Mina to Tonopah Junction was both standard gauge and narrow gauge. South from Tonopah Junction, the track was narrow gauge to Keeler. The line from Mound House to Churchill was abandoned on April 25, 1934. The track from Tonopah Junction to Benton was abandoned in 1938. The track from Benton to Laws was abandoned in 1943. The final portion from Laws to Keeler was abandoned in April 1960.

Sources: C&C station list from Time Table No. 15, as of Monday, October 15th, 1883 at 8:30 (as reprinted by Hungerford) Information in parentheses is the name of the book and the page number for a photograph of the depot.

If you have any information you would like to add, please contact the host.

This page is part of David Coscia's SP Site

July 4, 2014

Depot Name

State

Built Builder

W x L

Destroyed

Information

Mound House

NV

1876 V&T

.

. 1st, C&C and V&T shared depot

Mound House

NV

1881 C&C

.

. 2nd, C&C built its own depot. (Probably this one, SPNG p. 34)

Mound House freight

NV

1876 V&T

.

. .

Dayton

NV

1881 C&C

20 x 50

standing; at the stoplight on Highway 50. Owned by Lyon County; stewardship by the Historical Society of Dayton Valley (SPNG p. 36)

Fort Churchill

NV

1881 C&C

16 x 32

. .

Wabuska

NV

1881 C&C

20 x 40

destroyed in 1906 1st, former V&T depot at Huffaker, NV

Wabuska

NV

1906 SP

24 x 80

moved to Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City 2nd, Mina branch only

Schurz

NV

1905 C&C

20 x 44

circa 1950's C&C had no depot here. C&C depot at Sodaville moved here by SP for Mina branch. (Slim Rails p. 98)

Thorne

NV

1906 SP

16 x 51

. C&C had no station by this name. Since Hawthorne was left off the line, this was the closest station.

Hawthorne

NV

1881 C&C

20 x 50

1905 line standard gauged: new route bypassed the town (Slim Rails p. 12)

Hawthorne freight

NV

1881 C&C

16 x 54

standing, now the Elks Lodge line standard gauged; new route bypassed the town

Luning

NV

1881 C&C

20 x 97

razed circa 1997 .

Mina

NV

1906 SP

two-story 24 x 60

. C&C had no station by this name. The town was founded by SP in 1905 (SPNG p. 79)

Mina freight house

NV

1905 SP

40 x 100

. moved from Sodaville (SPNG p. 76)

Soda Springs

NV

1881 C&C

20 x 44

see Sodaville renamed Sodaville

Soda Springs freight

NV

1881 C&C

. see Sodaville freight renamed Sodaville

Sodaville

NV

1881 C&C

20 x 44

. had a dining room

Sodaville freight

NV

1881 C&C

.

torn down, 1905 1st

Sodaville freight

NV

Feb 1904 SP

40 x 100

moved to Mina, July 31, 1905 2nd, built to handle traffic from Tonopah silver rush

Rhodes

NV

.

.

. telegraph office, no depot, closed circa 1883

Tonopah Junction

NV

Feb 1904

.

. telegraph office but no depot; connection with the Tonopah & Goldfield Railroad

Belleville

NV

1883 C&C

20 x 42

. .

Candelaria

NV

1882 C&C

20 x 66

. (Slim Rails p. 9)(dismantling, Slim Rails p. 37)

Mount Montgomery

NV

1896 C&C

12 x 12

. (Slim Rails p. 20)

Mount Montgomery freight house

NV

circa 1896 C&C

.

. .

Summit

NV

1882

.

. highest point on the railroad, 7138 ft

Tunnel

NV

1882

.

tunnel is extant and accessible, though it has suffered a cave in. Tunnel bore is 247 feet in length (SPNG p. 52)

Benton

CA

1886 C&C

20 x 46

. .

Hammil

CA

circa 1883 C&C

8 x 28

. carbody on a platform for passengers and freight

Bishop Creek

CA

1883 C&C

20 x 74

see Laws renamed Bishop circa 1888

Bishop

CA

circa 1888 C&C

20 x 74

see Laws renamed Laws in April 1900

Laws

CA

1883 C&C

20 x 74

standing; Laws Railroad Museum (Jawbone p. 103)

Alvord

CA

1883 C&C

20 x 46

see Zurich renamed Zurich in 1913

Zurich

CA

1883 C&C

20 x 46

removed after 1947 agency closed June 28, 1932 (Slim Rails p. 111)

Independence

CA

1884 C&C

20 x 46

see Kearsarge renamed Citrus circa 1900

Citrus

CA

1884 C&C

20 x 46

see Kearsarge renamed Kearsarge in 1913

Kearsarge

CA

1884 C&C

20 x 46

razed December 1955 agency closed June 29, 1932 (Jawbone p. 110)

Manzanar

CA

circa 1911 SP

10 x 10.

removed circa 1943 passenger shed

Manzanar freight

CA

circa 1911 SP

8 x 40?

removed circa 1943 carbody on a platform for freight, probably a coach

Owenyo

CA

1910 SP

9 x 34

part of the second depot C&C had no station by this name. 1st, standard gauge boxcar (Jawbone p. 27)

Owenyo

CA

1912? SP

36 x 38

standing; moved to Keeler, now the Volunteer Fire Station 2nd, added a second car and built a common roof to cover both cars (Jawbone p. 115)

Lone Pine

CA

1884 C&C

20 x 46

see Mt.Whitney renamed Mt. Whitney circa 1901 (Jawbone p. 115)

Mt.Whitney

CA

1884 SP

20 x 46

razed after 1911 closed circa 1911 with the opening of the Lone Pine depot on the standard gauge line (Jawbone p. 115)

Hawley

CA

1886 C&C

20 x 66

see Keeler renamed Keeler circa 1884

Keeler

CA

1886 C&C

20 x 112

standing, now a private residence 20 x 50 two-story living quarters added December 1917 (Jawbone p.102)