SURVIVING DEPOTS OF THE
SOUTHERN PACIFIC RAILROAD

The Southern Pacific Railroad and its subsidiaries provided passenger service from the 1860's until May 1, 1971. On this date, with the birth of Amtrak, most passenger service by the S.P. ended, although commuter trains on the San Francisco peninsula continued until the 1980's. For many years prior to this, however, passenger service had been steadily declining, leading to the closing of many passenger depots. Many freight depots were also closing due to declines in business and the abandonment of branch lines. As a result, many of the depots were destroyed either by the company, by fire, or by new developments. These are the survivors.

EP&SW, NCO, NPC, and SPC were bought by SP. The T&NO was merged into SP.
The NWP and the SD&AE were subsidiaries.

Depots of the following companies related to the Southern Pacific may be found on their own sites: St. Louis-Southwestern, Northwestern Pacific, Pacific Electric, and the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge.

NOTE: if you know of a depot not listed, or you can provide an address, please notify the host.

This page is part of David Coscia's SP Site

December 10, 2016

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
RAILROAD ABBREVIATIONS .
AE - Arizona Eastern NPC - North Pacific Coast
AT&SF - Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe NRHS - National Railroad Historical Society
GH&SA - Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio SA&AP - San Antonio & Aransas Pass
HE&WT - Houston East & West Texas SD&AE - San Diego & Arizona Eastern
H&TC - Houston & Texas Central SLSF - St. Louis - San Francisco
I&GN - International & Great Northern SPC - South Pacific Coast
MKT - Missouri, Kansas, and Texas TM - Texas Midland
MP - Missouri Pacific T&NO - Texas & New Orleans
MTA - Metropolitan Transit Authority (Los Angeles) T&P - Texas & Pacific
NCO - Nevada, California, and Oregon UP - Union Pacific


ARIZONA .
Benson replica, now the Benson Chamber of Commerce; 168 East 4th Street
Clifton a replica built at the Scottsdale McCormick-Stillman Railway Park
Douglas EP&SW depot; now the police department; 300 West 14th Street
Florence freight depot moved to Avondale; in the middle of a tank manufacturing company yard
Globe GilaValley, Globe & Northern; later AE; being renovated by volunteers; the freight room was renovated two years ago;
the cafe was damaged by a fire and demolished
Litchfield CS #22; purchased by City of Goodyear and moved to Roscoe Park at 15600 W. Roeser (Feb 4, 2009)
Miami passenger depot with adjacent freight shed; 1000 South Adonis Avenue
Patagonia now the city hall; 310 McKeown Avenue
Phoenix Union Station, now Amtrak Thruway bus stop only
Red Rock now a private residence; 33177 South Aguirre Lane (telephone pole 33259)
Rillito wooden depot is in bad shape but is for sale; visible along Eastbound Frontage Road south of Water Street
Safford 441 West 8th Street
Tempe now a restaurant; 300 South Ash Avenue
Tombstone now the county library; 210 South 4th Street
Tucson EP&SW; now a restaurant; 419 West Congress Street
Tucson Now the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum; 414 North Toole Avenue
Willcox rebuilt; 101 South Railroad Avenue
Yuma freight abandoned but in good shape; 456 South Main Street


CALIFORNIA .
Agnew SPC; home to California Central Model RR; 4185 Bassett Street, Santa Clara
Alturas NCO; 307 North East Street
Alviso SPC; moved, now private residence; 1022 Elizabeth Street
Arbuckle still trackside, section cut on north side, used for painting large trucks and trailers; 311 Eddy Street
Arcadia freight moved to Travel Town Museum; 5200 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles
Auburn now the Chamber of Commerce; on track one; 601 Lincoln Way
Auburn on track two
Bakersfield passenger next to the yard; 733 Sumner Street
Bena moved to the Kern County Museum; 3801 Chester Avenue, Bakersfield
Benicia restored; 90 First Street
Berkeley now a restaurant; 700 University Avenue
Broadway now a restaurant; 1190 California Drive, Burlingame
Burlingame Caltrain station; 300 California Drive
Burrel now a store east of Riverdale; 700 Mount Whitney Avenue
Caliente office burned, freight part moved .7 miles east of RR Xing on Caliente-Bodfish Rd., now a barn
Calistoga redeveloped as shops including railcars outside; 1458 Lincoln Ave
Campbell SPC freight depot; 209 Railway Avenue
Campo SD&AE; Pacific Southwest Railway Museum; 750 Depot Street
Capay private residence
Capitola moved, now the Inn at Depot Hill; 250 Monterey Street
Centerville ACE and Amtrak California; 37260 Fremont Boulevard, Fremont
Chico Amtrak, Greyhound, and retail space; 450 Orange Street
Chowchilla moved, now a VFW post; 245 South 5th Street
Colfax passenger Amtrak; 99 Railroad Street
Colfax freight now retail shops; 7 North Main Street
College Park 899 Stockton Avenue; San Jose, CA
Colma now Colma's Historic Train Depot; 1500 Hillside Boulevard
Corning two walls of wood freight section standing several miles from town, passenger portion destroyed
Cottonwood passenger section a retail store at Brush Street and Front Street; freight section now a welding shop, location unknown
Coyote passenger now a private residence
Coyote freight now a feed store
Crockett now the Crockett Historical Society & Museum; 900 Loring Avenue
Danville moved to 205 Railroad Avenue
Davis 840 2nd Street
Dinuba Moved to 289 South K Street
Earlimart CS #22 Freight portion only, turned 90 degrees from tracks; 2 stores north of 192 North Front Street
East Oakland moved to the Embarcadero along the Oakland Estuary
Edison looks like a shack, depot is in bad shape; 11975 Edison Highway
Esparto 16905 County Road 87
Fellows office portion only in private residence; moved to 30360 Orange Street, Shafter, CA
Felton freight moved to Roaring Camp Railroads; 5401 Graham Hill Road
Fillmore 350 Main Street
Folsom 200 Wool Street
Fowler moved to 5928 South Clovis Avenue, Fresno, CA
Fremont see Centerville
Fresno 1713 Tulare Street


CALIFORNIA .
Gilroy 7250 Monterey Road
Glendale 400 West Cerritos Avenue
Goleta moved to 300 North Los Carneros Road
Grenada First Avenue and Shasta Boulevard; now a private residence
Gridley California & Oregon depot from 1870; located in the city park at 194 Washington Street
Hanford portion of it located in park on private road/company propery southwest of SP/SF diamond
Healdsburg 370 Hudson Street
Hillsdale on old Bayshore route, passenger depot and shelter
Hollister 35 5th Street
Holtville moved to a local museum
Hood freight abandoned
Inyokern moved to County Line Auto Wrecking in Ridgecrest
Ione still in yard, now the office and warehouse for a small resins plant
Ivanhoe Moved to Road 156 north of Avenue 330; private residence
Jacumba SD&AE depot at Railroad Street and the tracks; now a private residence
Kenwood 319 Warm Springs Road
King City moved to San Lorenzo Park
Kingsburg 1420 California Street
La Mesa SD&AE depot; 4695 Nebo Drive
Live Oak Elm Street and Live Oak Boulevard
Livermore 2418 Railroad Avenue
Locke freight depot, built in 1916 for trans-loading barges and railcars
Lodi moved one block south from original location in the year 2000; 24 South Sacramento street
Lone Pine on Lone Pine Narrow Gauge Road about 2 miles east of US-395
Loomis moved to 3640 Taylor Road
Los Altos 288 1st Street
Los Angeles Union Station; 800 North Alameda Street
Los Molinos moved to 25261 Sherman Street; private residence
Madera 120 North E Street
Magalia 6818 Depot Lane
Martinez 438 Ferry Street
Maxwell moved to Forest Ranch, east of Chico on Hwy 32
Menlo Park passenger 1100 Merrill Street
Merced 700 West 16th Street
Millbrae 108 California Drive
Modesto J Street and 9th Street
Montague moved to 230 South 11th Street
Montague freight shed moved out of town, now a barn
Monterey now a boat shop
Moorpark demolished long ago; the structure that appears to be a depot is a former feed elevator
Mount Shasta passenger now a private residence near Black Butte
Mount Shasta freight Modified but identifiable; Mt. Shasta Boulevard and Alma Street
Mountain View replica CS #18; 750 West Evelyn Avenue
Mulford covered in stucco; 1582 Carden Street
Newman moved to 2340 CA-132, Vernalis, CA
New Pine Creek NCO, moved off track, private
Niles 37592 Niles Boulevard, Fremont, CA
North Hollywood 11301 Chandler Boulevard
Oakland 1799 16th Street
Oakdale second depot built in 1897; 355 East F Street
Oceano 1650 Front Street
Oil Junction moved to Orange Empire Railway Museum; Perris, CA
Orland moved to Glenn County fairgrounds; 194 East Chapman Street, Orland, CA
Oxnard moderne-style depot; East Fifth Street
Oxnard only the second story of #22 depot; moved to 169 North Harrison Avenue; now a private residence


CALIFORNIA .
Palms former SP Santa Monica branch became PE in 1911; moved to Heritage Square; 3800 Homer Street, Los Angeles, CA
Palo Alto 1940's art-deco style depot; 95 University Avenue
Paradise 5570 Black Olive Drive
Paso Robles 800 Pine Street
Patterson freight portion on Las Palmas east of town and passenger portion of the No.22 on Northmead
Petaluma freight 230 Lakeville Street
Pixley moderne-style depot; moved to 1575 North Park Drive
Pleasanton moved to 30 West Neal Street
Pomona 101 West 1st Street
Porterville freight moved to Old River Rd, 2.2 miles south of I-5; now private residence in Kern County
Porterville passenger 257 North D Street
Ravendale NCO, moved off track, private
Redding 1620 Yuba Street
Redding freight was the original passenger depot, dismantled and parts stored in various locations
Riverdale a portion is still located on its original site, complete with signboards on both ends
Roseville replica built in 1994, original was a different style; 201 Pacific Street
Routier 9978 Folsom Boulevard, Rancho Cordova
Rutherford 1989 St. Helena Way
Sacramento 125 I Street
Salinas 11 Station Place
Sanger moved to 1710 7th Street
St. Helena 1520 Railroad Avenue
San Carlos 599 El Camino Real
San Diego SD&AE used the ATSF depot from 1916-1951; 1050 Kettner Boulevard
San Francisco 4th and Townsend, built in 1975; 700 4th Street
San Jose 65 Cahill Street
San Leandro 1302 Orchard Avenue
San Luis Obispo 1011 Railroad Avenue
San Luis Obispo freight built in 1894; 1940 Santa Barbara Avenue
Santa Barbara 209 State Street
Santa Clara 1005 Railroad Avenue
Santa Paula 200 North 10th Street
Santa Susana 6503 Katherine Road
Saticoy 11220 Azahar Street
Saugus moved to Hart Park in Newhall, CA; 24101 Newhall Avenue
Schellville 1500 Fremont Drive
Seguro 147 East Norris Road, Bakersfield, CA; private residence
Selma passenger moved to 1935 East Front Street; now the police station
Selma freight moved to Selma Pioneer Village; 1880 Art Gonzales Parkway
Shingle Springs 4241 Mother Lode Drive
South Sausalito recently "found" by Art Fisher, awaiting further details
Stockton 949 Channel Street
Strathmore moved to 300 E Street, Lemoore, CA
Suisun-Fairfield 205 Main Street, Suisun City, CA
Sunol 6 Kilkare Road
Susanville 601 Richmond Road
Tarpey Moved to 399 Clovis Avenue, Clovis, CA
Truckee 10065 Donner Pass Road
Turlock 10 East Main Street
Valley Springs 25 East Hwy 12
Vina 4737 Rowles Road; private residence


CALIFORNIA .
Visalia passenger now a restaurant
Walnut Creek now a restaurant
Waterford now a restaurant, "Ice Cream Junction," on Hwy 132 about 1/4 mile East of E Street
Watsonville owned by Granite Rock; used as storage
Watsonville Junction now a UP crew office
Wendel .
Whittier moved to Greenleaf Avenue near Mar Vista St., now Transit Center
Willow Ranch NCO, moved off track, private
Woodland moved, under restoration
Yountville moved, now a business
Yuba City moved to the County Fairgrounds, may become a museum


LOUISIANA .
Baldwin moved outside New Iberia along US Highway 90
Eunice 220 South C C Duson Street
Gretna freight depot; now Gretna Welcome Center, 739 4th St.
Gretna T&P passenger depot; now Louisiana Railroad Museum, 739 3rd St.
Lafayette now an Amtrak stop; 33 East Grant Street
New Iberia 402 West Washington Street
New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal; 1001 Loyola Avenue
Paradis moved across the road from the tracks, now a Texaco storage space
Schriever Burlington Court west of Old Shriever Highway
Sulphur 900 South Huntington Street


NEVADA .
Elko freight now a store
Fallon freight portion near Depot Casino; passenger portion inside Depot Casino
Fernley moved to 600 East Main Street
Lovelock freight 1005 West Broadway Avenue
Lovelock passenger being restored as chamber of commerce and tourist center
Reno 132 East Commercial Row
Reno NCO; owned by Western Pacific Railroad, never SP; 325 East 4th Street
Sparks Replica built in 1976; 905 Victorian Avenue
Wabuska Moved to 2180 South Carson Street, Carson City, NV
Wadsworth moved to Sparks, NV in 1905, still in use as yard office with tower added; visible from the intersection of Pyramid Way and Nugget Avenue


NEW MEXICO .
Ancho moved to the north side of County Road 462
Carrizzo pre-fab? used by UP
Coalora moved to Capitan; on NM-246 two hundred feet north of US-380
Columbus at the intersection of NM-9 and NM-11
Corona moved to 1991 North White Sands Boulevard, Alamogordo, NM
Deming moved to 301 North Country Club Road
Hachita moved about 2 miles north of Hachita on NM-146 on the east side; private residence
Tucumcari North 2nd Street and Railroad Avenue


OREGON .
Albany now used by Amtrak and Willamette & Pacific
Ashland SP depot moved to 624 A Street
Ashland original Oregon & California depot; now a dilapidated house; 750 Tolman Creek Road
Aurora 21651 Main Street NE
Brooks Moved to the Oregon Electric Railway Museum; 3995 Brooklake Road NE
Brownsville 101 Park Avenue
Canby 888 NE 4th Avenue
Carlton Oregon Red Electric depot; 120 North Pine Street
Chemult Depot Street south of 1st Street
Corvallis Oregon Red Electric depot; 603 Northwest 2nd Street
Corvallis freight SP depot; 700 SW Washington Avenue
Dillard moved to 123 Museum Drive, Roseburg, OR
Eugene 433 Willamette Street
Forest Grove Oregon Red Electric depot; made of brick, covered patio enclosed; 2003 19th Avenue
Garibaldi 402 American Avenue
Gaston .
Gaylord Moved to Powers, OR
Glendale moved, now a meeting hall and senior citizen center
Halsey top half of two story building is the depot, bottom is not; 100 West Halsey Street
Hillsboro east of 610 South 1st Avenue
Klamath Falls 1600 Oak Avenue
Lakeview Center Street and North N Street; private residence
Lebanon 750 South 3rd Street
Mapleton moved to 1252 Bay Street; Florence, OR
McMinneville used by Willamette & Pacific
Medford 147 North Front St
Mill City 143 Northeast Wall Street
Monroe freight section exists on original location
Mt.Angel 90 West College Street
Oswego small cinder-block building; 311 North State Street
Perrydale restored and moved somewhere in town; not at the original location
Portland 800 Northwest 6th Avenue
Powers now a logging railroad museum
Reedsport .
Rockaway Beach moved, used as hotel
Roseburg 700 SE Sheridan Street
Salem 500 13th Street Southeast
Sheridan replica; 120 SW Mill Street
Silverton freight section original, office section a replica; 428 South Water Street
Springfield moved to 101 South A Street
Tangent only freight section exists, moved and now a private residence
Tillamook Moved next to 2001 Blue Heron Road
Toledo 160 Northwest 1st Street
West Scio moved to 39004 Northeast 1st Avenue; Scio, OR
Woodburn moved to St. Luke's Church; approximately 843 N 3rd Street if it had an address
Woodville former Oregon & California depot; moved to 799 Berrydale Avenue; Medford, OR


TEXAS .
. On March 1, 1927, GH&SA, H&TC, and T&NO merged into T&NO.
. Any depot built before that date could be GH&SA, H&TC, SA&AP, or T&NO.
. Any depot built after that date is TNO.
. TM merged into T&NO on April 1, 1928. EP&SW merged into SP.
Alpine now Amtrak
Anna .
Austin A&NW, then H&TC, 504 E. 5th, now the Depot Hotel, built 1871-1872
Bertram former SA&AP depot from Orange Grove, TX
Brenham H&TC; on South Market St. east of Commerce
Brownsville T&NO, now the Historic Brownsville Museum; 6th & E. Madison Sts.
Burton H&TC; on Railroad Street
Caldwell H&TC freight, now a restaurant which looks like feed store, which it once was.
Cameron SA&AP
Carmine H&TC; being restored
Cleveland SP/ATSF, moved from the tracks, now a private residence
Columbus GH&SA freight depot, one-story, now a museum
Comfort T&NO
Commerce TM
Cooper TM, now the Patterson Memorial Delta County Museum
Cushing T&NO, now the Cushing Library; moved to 778 Walnut
Dallas Union Station, 400 S. Houston St.
Dallas H&TC passenger depot from 1903 to 1916; relegated to yardmasters office after the opening of Union Station in Dallas.
Moved to Fair Park in August, 1963; now the office for the Age of Steam Railroad Museum
Del Rio restored brick station, owned by the city and called the Transportation Center;100 W. Ogden
Eagle Lake GH&SA passenger
Eagle Pass GH&SA freight
Edinburg chamber of commerce
Edna GH&SA
El Paso Union Passenger Station, southwest corner of Coldwell and San Francisco
El Paso EP&SW freight depot
Elgin TNO and MKT passenger depot; now the Elgin Depot Museum and Archive at 14 Depot Street
Elgin H&TC freight depot located trackside a few hundred yards from the Union depot.
Ennis ticket/baggage and express buildings used as a museum, depot burned in 1930's
Ferris now the city mayor's office; Ovilla Road and FM 664
Flatonia SA&AP passenger depot, now the signal maintainer tool house
Flatonia SA&AP freight depot; wooden building one block north of US-90; severely damaged by wind storm June 3, 2007
Floresville SA&AP depot on a nearby ranch. Plans are to move it to town and restore it
Frankston T&NO; now a library and museum; on SH 155
Galveston Union Depot; now the Galveston Island Railroad Museum
Giddings H&TC
Giddings SA&AP freight depot or freight house
Giddings Union passenger depot, used by H&TC and SA&AP
Gonzales now headquarters of the Texas Gonzales & Northern RR
Gregory under threat of demolition, currently standing
Harlingen former passenger & freight district office; SP freight depot when the passenger depot was torn down
Hearne H&TC joint station with I&GN, being restored as a depot museum
Hempstead restored and now a bed & breakfast as part of the Wellspring Retreat; moved to Round Top, TX
Hondo now the Medina County Museum; moved to 2202 18th Street
Houston now Amtrak; 902 Washington Ave.
Ingleside SA&AP depot owned by the Chamber of Commerce
Jacksonville TNO freight, now Harris' Feed Store behind police station
Kerrville SA&AP
Kingsland SA≈ moved from Muldoon, now the antique shop at The Antlers Hotel
Kosse H&TC; moved to Saginaw. Located on Main Street and is now the Chamber of Commerce


TEXAS .
Lacyville "Jim Crow" flag stop, two waiting areas: an open porch and one enclosed; now a hunter's cabin
Lancaste H&TC freight depot
La Porte .
Leander moved to where?
Liberty TNO
Louise TNO
Lozano moved to Combes, intersection of US77 and TX107, private property
Luling standing as of 9-29-2002 in Lockhart (is this a depot or tool house?)
Mabank moved, now a cafe
McAllen chamber of commerce, 100 S. Bicentennial
McDade now a general store
Mackay TNO
Marathon standing, needs restoration, which railroad built it?
Marble Falls 801 U.S. 281 at Avenue H
Midlothian H&TC, moved
Moscow moved to Nacogdoches, next to the Nacogdoches freight depot
Moulton SA&AP, now a bridal shop, "The Bridal Rail"
Muldoon SA&AP depot, moved to The Antlers Hotel in Kingsland, TX
Nacogdoches HE&WT freight
Nacogdoches T&NO passenger, being restored; corner of North Old Tyler Road and West Main St.
Orange .
Paige H&TC, moved, now the community center located on Hwy 290 East
Paris Union Depot
Ponta TNO, moved to Cushing; now a residence, barely recognizable
Pine Flat also known as Hoya, on Rockland subdivision
Port Arthur .
Port Lavaca intersection of Railroad St. and Virginia St
Poth SA&AP, a farm and ranch museum
Reklaw TNO, now a residence, barely recognizable
Richmond .
Rockdale SA&AP freight
Rockport SA&AP, 105 S. Magnolia
Rosser TM
San Antonio restored, at the St. Paul Square
San Leon now a private residence, moved to 631 Clear Lake Road, Clear Lake Shores
Seguin freight now used as a feed and farm supply store
Sheridan T&NO, now a lumber company
Sierra Blanca GH&SA, moved off track; now the Hudspeth County Historical Society Museum
Simonton SA&AP, south of town on FM 1489 on Sanders Rd.; now private residence with additions
Sugar Land now the Fort Bend County Chamber of Commerce; moved to 445 Commerce Green Blvd.
Terrel TM freight, red brick depot built circa 1897
Waco H&TC passenger depot; 209 Taylor St., built by Waco & Northwestern in 1872
Wallis SA≈ moved into pasture outside town
Waring SA≈ now a private residence
Weimar 109 E. Jackson Ave.
Wharton GH&SA depot
Yorktown only freight house portion exists; was dismantled and may not be standing on farm south of town


UTAH .
Ogden Union Station; 2501 Wall Avenue
Transfer at the north end of the Ogden yards